Friday, October 18, 2013

Daisy Coleman, you go girl.

I read what happened to Daisy Coleman, and what was done to her family.  I am thrilled that she refuses to be silenced.  I provide reproductive health care to young women and too often I have to deal with the aftermath of exactly this sort of rape.  For those of you who want to tell me that she could have avoided it, blah blah blah.  He would have done it to someone else, because the "undetected serial rapist" leaves an average of 14 victims behind.  These perpetrators  seek out and groom victims;  they use alcohol as a tool.  He is in many ways more like a child molester than like our mythical image of a knife wielding stranger.

What excites me about Daisy's public stand is my feeling that this reflects a fundamental shift.  Young women have "gotten the message" and their attackers had best beware:  

It's not her fault, 
and she knows it.


No comments:

Post a Comment