Thursday, July 4, 2013

Why do some people spend so much energy on hate?

I have been pondering the pro-life anti-gay marriage movement for a while.  That there is a fear in their motivation has long seemed likely to me.  But what they are afraid of has eluded me.  I’m sure some are hiding their own homosexual leanings or curiosity.  Some of the pro-lifers probably feel trapped in their own lives and wish they could have had other choices and are angry and those who did.  I’ve been looking for a unifying thread.  Today at lunch my mother was telling a story about a man whose step-daughter died and his family’s ongoing relationship with the recipient of her heart. 
                This got me thinking about the irregular and lumpy shapes of families today.  The element of choice in family.  Most of us have non-relatives to whom we are solidly attached and think of as “family-by-choice”.  It is an idea that was at the root of gay families for years.
                So, these people who oppose abortion and gay marriage, if families all were to have an element of choice, are they afraid no one would choose them?  Is their hatred of others a reflection of their own feelings of being un-loveable?  

No comments:

Post a Comment