Monday, March 27, 2023

Supporting Reparations

 Reddit Post I wrote with links and don't want to lose.

  1. It's not about being 'Black' it's about being a descendent of someone who was held in chattel slavery. There are any number of descendent groups who do this work. Since the people doing the deciding will be Black people, I suspect Rachel Dolezal is SOL. Although apparently Kerry Lake may be invited to the barbeque. It is so hard for non-Black people to understand, its not your business. One of the reasons I recommended that the Swiss or some such manage the Trust is that non-Black USians cannot stop themselves from telling Black people what they ought to do. Black people survived us, and many still thrived despite our destructiveness.

  2. If you have read about the recent dis-enrollments in US Native tribes you will understand why I say no disenrollments. I'm thinking 100-200 years from now, not next month.

  3. The 14 trillion would come from a one time progressive wealth tax on the 1000 richest USians (number made up, need more data). Making the heirs of Sam Walton, Jeff Bezos, the Koch brothers, Bill Gates, and Rupert Murdoch cough up the cash would give me great joy.

  4. College Admissions are corrupt is so many different ways, legacies, elite sports...I've often said the difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats think poor people should be able to steal a little, too. There are fewer Black men in medical school in the US today than there were in 1970. And every person mentioned in this article is Nigerian and a Recent African Immigrant (RAI).

  5. 'nothing to do with slavery' go read Color of Law. It didn't end in 1865. I recommend reading it a chapter at a time and doing something else in between. It's a lot.

  6. I don't know if reparations works. I suspect that getting us as a country to the place where we think it should happen would be just as much of the benefit as the $$$ to descendents.

Lastly - did you know that the French demanded that the newly independent country of Haiti pay them the modern day equivalent of $560 MILLION for reparations for FREEING THEMSELVES! Yes I totally want France to set up a fund for Haitians under the same model as I have proposed for the US trust.

Our country paid DC slaveholders $300 for forcibly freeing their slaves. The freedmen got...nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment