Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Everything I have to say about rape, hopefully ever...

Recently  "1 in 4 service women experience rape during their service" was put on Reddit.  Predictably a number of servicemen objected.
This study in 2009 showed that 13% of Navy enlistees reported behaviour that met the legal definition of rape at the time of enlistment, dating back to their early adolescence in some cases; and when studied over time, 71% of those repeated the behavior after joining the service. They frequently used substances to incapacitate their victims and their victims were known to them.
This 2002 study helped me realize that the guy who takes advantage of the drunk girl didn't just "happen" to be there. The average rapist leaves 14 victims in his wake, knows his victim and has groomed them to some extent.
So if 9% are committing multiple rapes using alcohol and picking the targets they think won't talk, and the average rapist has 14 victims....you can get to 1/4 rather quickly.
"Not much can be done about the problem when the victims are uncooperative." this story, which won a Pulitzer,  helps explain why victims might be "uncooperative".  It reminds me of some of my co-workers who tells me "the client didn't want it", when actually my co-worked didn't want to do the work.
This is a wonderful article about a detective who investigates sex crimes.  

Young people, especially boys, need to be taught that consent requires positive, enthusiastic affirmation; and consent is required.  
I'm very hesitant to talk about my sex life in public, but I was, on occasion asked, and I did on occasion say yes, although sometimes I said no.  I'm grateful to the men who were kind in either case.  



No comments:

Post a Comment