Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why contraceptive coverage matters...

...its about a woman's right to privacy.  No woman should have to detail to anyone except her doctor, whether she is taking birth control pills for acne or contraception.  Your employer should not have the right to decide what kind of medical care you get.  And it is important because if you empower the bigots, they get worse.

When I was a young resident, a patient came into the ER in the throws of a miscarriage.  I had some lab and imaging reports that supported the diagnosis and she was bleeding fairly profusely so  I wanted to give her medication that would complete the process more quickly and hopefully avoid a trip to the operating room.  (D&C is not an entirely benign procedure in either the moment or the effects on future pregnancy, it is however very safe.)

A nurse informed me, in self righteous tones, that she would not administer the medication as her religious beliefs prohibited abortions.  As a sleep deprived second year I simply goggled at her.  I've honestly forgotten how I worked it out. All I remember is my wrath that my poor patient, who was loosing a wanted pregnancy, had to deal with the narrow minded bitch.

Also, go see Pope Francis on uncertainty in my last post.  I'm a Buddhist, have been for over 20 years.  That soft open uncertain mind is one of the goals I seek.




No comments:

Post a Comment