Thursday, October 22, 2015

Eating with the Men in Black

Envy of Angels by Matt Wallace was a a digital-only novella released October 2015.  There is another author on Amazon with the same name, but I believe Envy of Angels to be this author's first book.  I liked it.  The idea of a catering company that works for the Men in Black is fun.  Although the non-humans here include more than aliens.  

This is the first book in the series and introduces a largish number of characters.  I have three criticisms, none serious, all of which I think stem from it being a first book with a lot of ground to cover.

The last sections of the book rocked, and rocked hard, I laughed a bunch and wasn't sure what would happen next.  I enjoyed the mix of mass culture with the arcane in a new way.

  • The boss' decision to fully embrace the new employees who serve as the audience surrogate along with how he incorporates them both into some of the early action seems forced.  Another reviewer commented how the male half of this duo seems particularly limp as a character.
  • We are informed early that one of the characters is gay.   This fact plays no role in the plot and we are not told the sexuality of ANY OTHER CHARACTER, so it feels forced.
  • The very end is slightly over written.  It underestimates the intelligence of the reader.


These issues did not keep me from enjoying the story, and I have already pre-ordered the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment