Hadestown Pro-shot and PCHH Podcast
I saw the pro-shot in the theater the day after I listened to the podcast - so I went back and re-listened to the podcast which was super helpful. I'm with Margaret that the actor playing Orpheus doesn't do anything for me, but I felt like that worked really well in the role, since before he makes the hike to Hades there is nothing to take seriously about him.
The boot: it was and wasn't distracting. We saw them put it on his in the opening montage, I did spend some time wondering if it was necessity or artistic choice - figured it had to be necessity because it would be so bad for the actor's body to do that eight shows a week for years - but with the exception of his final dance with Persephone I think it made it better in a lightening in a bottle sort of way. He was threatening instead of camp.
Andre De Shields has lived long enough to be an icon. That man is 80. He should give hope to all mid-to-late career actors who haven't shown as brightly as they hoped.
The ending - kept thinking it might end differently, couldn't figure out how they were going to pull that off, but also this isn't a French play - they couldn't go that dark....I thought the re-set was perfect. Did you notice that this time Orpheus had the match ready to go? They're a myth and they are going to relive the same general outline over, and over again, but it won't always be the same, and they know somewhere deep down, that they get to do it again. Kind of like....Hades and Persephone.
And I want to see video of when the swinging lights didn't go right, because you know there were times.
Comments
Post a Comment